Friday, 12 February 2016

Company Research



http://nobrow.net/
Nobrow have been around since 2008. Since then they have contacted numerous international artists. They have brought out several comics by independent artists. They are a team of 14 who review and publish stories and comic books. They are based in London, UK. They do own a sub-branch called Flying Eye Books who publish children's books and illustrations since 2013.
At the moment they do not take interns in their Design branch but I would like my stories to be published by them.

http://www.nick.co.uk/ -The Amazing World of Gumball
Nickelodeon have a range of shows that they air. Of course I am mostly interested in their animated shows, mostly The Amazing World of Gumball which uses a variety of media to bring their characters to live. This particular show uses 2D, 3D and stop motion.
Ben Bocquet is the producer of the show and created it for Nickelodeon. It is produced in the European Studios of Nick in London. Some of the shows parts get animated in Germany, for example a position for an effects animator just opened in Ludwigsburg for Studio SOI which I would love to apply for.
The idea behind the Gumball is, that Ben collected the rejected characters that had been pitched to the studio in 2007 and put them together in an original series.


Studio Yotta
Studio Yotta first came to be in 2012, so pretty recent, and was founded by Jake Ganz. Next to their core team, they mostly hire freelance artists and animators, though a lot of them seem to be reoccurring in their animated music videos. Next to these animated music videos they do animations for the video game Skullgirls and have assisted on other animated series and even games for Nintendo 3DS, XBOX 360, Playstation 3 and on Steam. Through their twitter and tumblr they seem very approachable but still professional.

Cartoon Network - Steven Universe
The people who work on Steven Universe call themselves Steven Crewniverse and surround the creator of the show, Rebecca Sugar. I am particularly interested in this because the animation of the show is great and the show is aimed towards children without patronising them, as it also approaches real and serious issues children can have. Also I like the fact that queer characters are normal in this show and don’t get treated any differently.
They own a tumblr page where they regularly post storyboards and other things of the episodes that have already aired.
There is a list of tumblr blogs that belong to the people of the show and according to that, about 20 people are working on the show.

My Own Studio
I would love to open my own studio at some point and maybe, depending on how working underneath them turns out, have it funded by one of the more known animation studios. I would like a small team of people I know and work on the animated series me and Celyn came up with called Played Like a Damn Fiddle. Besides that I would love us to animate for video games as well, unless our animated series turns out so good that we won’t have time to work on anything else.

No comments:

Post a Comment